A workflow defines a course of action for your work and business operations. Usually, it is a process that can be repeated that is necessary to complete your business activities. For accountants, career paths may include:
- Data entry or import to ensure that customer accounts are in the system correctly
- Managing cash and documents, such as updating general ledgers or writing checks to pay bills
- Sorting the documents, doing research, or sealing the documents for return to the customer
- Payers may not have a single operating system that covers all their transactions; for example, you may have different workflows to manage customer sales tax returns, invoices, and invoice processing.
A well-structured and controlled workflow provides many benefits to accountants and accounting firms, including:
- Improved project management: When you have a defined workflow, you know what fits and what will be considered special projects for your team. Creating effective work processes can promote better work outcomes.
- Increased efficiency: Work processes often involve repetitive tasks that can be repeated. By creating automated workflows, you can free up accounting staff to perform more complex tasks.
- Better performance monitoring: Real-time workflows are transparent, so managers and team members can see which tasks are pending, who is responsible for them, and what they might need to get the work done. However, having a stream for your work doesn’t mean you’ll get these benefits right away.
Workflow Management for Accountants: Best Practices
Workflow management is very important for individual accountants, small businesses, or corporations. The benefits of using the right equipment as a sports team are immeasurable. By using the right project management tools, you can connect customer portals, assign tasks, and monitor projects effectively.
Connect with customer portals where possible
Whenever possible, make sure your billing process starts with a cloud-based customer portal. This allows customers to see the status of their book, reducing the number of inquiries you receive over the phone and via email. It also helps clients upload the necessary documents and data so that they have everything they need to complete the job.
Support the work and representatives of the work
Simple tasks and simple delegations can increase productivity and ensure that each team member knows exactly what is expected of them. Some platforms, like monday.com, let you work with agents to improve productivity, reduce the risk of crashes, and streamline processes.
Review the work
Good monitoring ensures that your workflow continues to run smoothly. That doesn’t mean that a leader should focus on every task, but you should have a way to track and monitor tasks. A popular way is to use a visual dashboard to show information such as:
- How many jobs are in progress?
- What kind of work is going on? What types of jobs or people have jobs?
- If some work is overdue, stuck, or in danger of overrunning
- How much work did each person or group complete?
Want this kind of dashboard for your accounting workflow? We know the tools to get there.
Manage your accounting workflow with monday.com
From automation to multiple monitoring options, monday.com has the features you need to manage your unique accounting workflow. Here are some things you can do with our Work OS to make work easier, faster, and more interactive:
- Create custom automations that notify the right people when job status changes or someone else’s job is ready. Automation also allows you to optimize workflows to ensure you meet deadlines and move items from one stage to another at the right time.
- Color coding is done to make it easier for team members to see what they need to do and when. Interact directly with team members by adding notes for tasks, sharing documents, or creating notes that ensure no task is overlooked.
- Work with clients and professionals on the go in the cloud, preview, and mobile-ready services. Increase productivity and accuracy through built-in processes, reports, and security.
- Use a dashboard that can easily organize your information. Achieve collaboration with everyone in your company, regardless of the department or team they work with.